Do you want to change your channel icon for YouTube? It’s relatively simple to do on a desktop computer and a tad tricker when you’re using a smartphone. Let’s walk through both options.
Changing Your YouTube Channel Icon on Desktop
- Go to your YouTube channel homepage and click on your current profile icon. This will take you to the branding section of the channel customization page in the YouTube Studio.
- Click Change next to your current profile icon.
- Select and upload your new profile image.
Here’s what you’ll see during the first step:
And here’s the final screen that allows you to change the icon:
Changing Your Channel Icon In the YouTube App
- Whip out your phone and open the regular YouTube app. Double-check that you haven’t accidentally clicked the YouTube Studio app on your phone.
- Click Edit Channel on your YouTube channel homepage.
- Click your channel icon at the top of the page to select a new image.
Here is what step one looks like in the YouTube app:
Here’s the second step:
And finally, here’s step three. Simply tap your channel icon to add a new picture:
Upload Tips for Channel Icons
Before you set a YouTube channel icon, consider how it will look on desktop and mobile. We know for sure that YouTube displays it as a tiny circle on most screens. In this case, it’s best to upload a simple channel icon. You don’t want viewers squinting to see your logo, selfie, or branded image.
Here are some extra tips:
- The size of your channel icon should be around 800 pixels by 800 pixels, according to YouTube.
- You can upload a GIF, BMP, JPG, or PNG file.
- Your image should 4MB or less.
- Square or round images work best.